Project 4: Montage
Description: Inspirational 8.5×11 gradual blend montage with two or more images, typography, and a filter that uses masks in Adobe Photoshop.
Programs /Tools Used: Adobe Photoshop, Nikon D70 Camera
Top 3 things learned:
- How to make a montage rather than a collage by using masks to create a gradual blend.
- How to use filters to affect the mood the image portrays and make the project more dynamic.
- How to use text to greater effect with an image so they complement rather than fight each other.
- I started this project by taking pictures of my model outside of a brick building. I wanted to create a montage that had lots of energy and emotion but also really described the model.
- To do this I brought the picture into Adobe Photoshop and begin to crop the picture down to pull her in closer. I found that I prefer motion to start by going to the right so I flipped the image horizontally .
- I then started looking for a picture that would complement the image I wanted to focus on. I tried several of the other images I had taken but ran into problems with the brick and sizing of the pictures. Also I wanted to be sure that the final project come out as a montage and the results were looking more and more like a collage.
- I finally decided that it would be best to start looking at this from another angle and started thinking about the model and her personality. That is when I decided on a long pearl necklace that would loop around her and frame the image in but would also add to the energy and flow of the project.
- I pulled the image I found of the pearls into Photoshop and copied it so I could control where the loops led to. I dropped the opacity on all of them so I could see the main picture while I placed them. After I had the situated the way I like I brought the opacity back up and added mask layers to all of them and began to melt them away into the other image.
- Next I added the filter. For this I wanted the filter to really add to the image and not take away from it. I actually found several I liked on the image (film grain, dry brush, smudge stick, and watercolor). I ended with watercolor because it matched the overall feel and the pearls the best.
- Finally I added my typography. While brainstorming I had decided to have the title be her name with some of the letters to look like they had been knocked out-of-place by her hands in her enthusiasm. I placed this first and realized that there still was lots of room to carefully add texts that would add depth without stealing all my white space. Going along with the brick I decided to add graffiti-like type in the same elegant font. For these words I asked people who know her to describe her and used those words. These I arranged to fit among the bricks in clumps.
Font Used: ITC Tiepolo, oldstyle
Filter Used: Watercolor
Sources (Links to images on original websites):
Picture of the girl was taken by me with a Nikon D70 Camera
Thumbnails of images used: